Saturday, April 15, 2006

Food!!! Glorious food!!!

Lately I’ve been super blessed… with abundance of good food. Someone just told me today that I’m very very blessed to be living with my aunt when I’m so far from home. And there’s a plus to that, I have an aunt who cooks goooood food!!! Thank God for aunts!!!!
Anyways, I managed to learn how to cook and here’s wat I’ve learnt:
  • Apricot chicken- my aunt’s own recipe.
    One fine day, she had too much apricot, dunno wat to do with it, so she baked drumsticks with dried apricot, together with her own grown herbs, cream, and miscellaneous thingies. Tasted magnifico!!!
  • Chinese Dumpling (ham look zhong)
    As the festival approaches, it is a tradition to wrap that rice stuffing with some leaf and u ‘sap’ the whole bunch. So I took the chance to learn how to wrap it. It’s no easy job man!!! But I managed to wrap 3 successful dumplings! Woohooo! And it tasted great! My aunt also made some with nyonya fillings. Syok-a-lingam!
  • Lagsana- Garfield’s favourite food
    We had a deal that mandy and I would cook at least once a week, so I chose to cook lagsana this week!!! Though I didn’t know how to make that but I just hantam!!! Hhaha, nola, with my aunt’s guidance, and lots and lots of help (actually she was practically doing most of it) I managed to bake one of the best lagsanas I’ve ever had! Well, that cuz I added heaps of mozzarella cheese =p
  • Scrambled eggs- the essentials of an English breakfast
    Now now, dun look down on this simple dish. Its literally the best egg dish! Not wallet eggs (ho bau dan), not sunny side up (mata kerbau), not omelette (u know wat these are…), not flower eggs (those u get in soup), but its Dai Yee’s scrambled eggs! She makes it with milk, butter cubes, and cream!!! Cant tell u how… it’s her secret recipe which is not too secret anymore since I learnt it d.
  • Tau Fu Fah- the famous pasar malam dessert
    Well, I didn’t learn how to make this, but Dai Yee’s Tau Fu Fah is really special. Its like jelly, but not entirely jelly. And there’s the sago! Another dessert. Tastes so good with gula melacca. Also nice with maple syrup. Basically, anything sweet is nice, heeeeee…
  • Hot Cross Buns- Easter bread
    Ppl here only eat and make hot cross buns during Easter. Though my aunt didn’t bake these buns, but I got to have some pretty good ones… the prices of it is also quite high at this time of the year (it’s like moon cake during moon cake fest)
  • Char Xiu Bau- self explanatory
    Eating it was wat I used to do, but I had a chance to make them!!! It was so much fun! I helped my aunt make the dough, put in the pork fillings, and steam it! I didn’t get to start from scratch to cook the fillings though… but I was involved in making the baus that tasted just like any other char xiu bau from the shops!

I think after 3 years of such exposure, I’ll graduate with a certificate from my aunt- an acceptable cook! From an amateur to a pro! Muahahha

9 comments:

JosH said...

Walao..Jez, you can cook already!!!!One day you must cook for me and yih hon!!!..

Thinking of it makes me feel hungry liao

Anonymous said...

wa... i must start learning to cook from my mom liao! or else i've nothing to cook in the Village (accommodation place) once i'm there! since that place is sendiri cook...

hehe... my first dish was scambled egg... or was it omelette... anyway it was a start. yea i should start learning to cook...

wa... all those recipe... yummy... next time when i free i cari u in athelstone and taste one of your dish ok? ;)

I am Marcuz said...

(HUNGRY~~~)

COME BACK LAAA...

MAN... SERIOUSLY... HUNRY....

EH, Y ALL IN BLOCK LETTERS 1?

HAPPY EASTER...

JosH said...

Ya..Liz learn how to cook japanese food also!!...waaa..sure eat like mad if visit you all in aus..hehe

Anonymous said...

yaya... i'll get some salmon and make sashimi and sushi... then some miso soup, chawan-mushi, teppanyaki, soba noodles, ramen, what else...

today had a family conference with my parents and yup, i'm getting cooking lessons from my mom soon... ^^ look forward to it!!!

Timo said...

Yay!
Jez will be cooking for all of us in the end of the year! =P

I want to eat every single thing that is blogged about in this post! =P

Wuei Yunn said...

hey jez!! how're u doing there? well obviously u are doing great there!!! wah learn how to cook so many good food..wen u come back rmb to belanja me wif ur skills hehehe anyway wish ya gd luck there n enjoy urself!! ciaozzz take care!!

jezamine said...

wah! hi gurl!!! thx for dropping by

and ppl, i can only cook these stuff if i can get those ingredients and the machines when i'm back in msia. my aunt has chun tools to do those stuff leh... but i cant even find a proper wok in my own home...

well, i'll improvise abit here n there, n see if it turns out rite or not, heeeee

I am Marcuz said...

jez... come back n make us fat... yay... hahahaha...