Saturday, March 04, 2006

sink or swim

One week of uni generally gave me an overlook of my whole year’s life story. The week didn’t go as I expected it to be, but its not as bad as the life story of Oliver Twist. 1st few days were lonely n all, but its all because of the sudden change of my ‘title’ as a college student, to a university student. It’s the survival of the fittest, eat or be eaten.

The way they teach here are very different (maybe it jz applies for wat course I’m doing). They challenge ur initial believe and thought, shake it then leave u hanging with an unstable mind. “go la, think for urselves mate”. If u do not hold tight to wat u believe in, u’re walking in the lion’s den. If u hold too tight to ur believe, u’re swimming in the ocean with a limited oxygen tank. (hahah, wat a metaphor…)

Its all in the mind. They are so darn good in playing with ur thoughts. And ‘they’ I refer to the course syllabus, and the lecturers that play along with it. Another ‘they’ which gives me more pressure, are course mates that I’d hv to compete with. They’ve been thrown in the wild since young, being shaken all their lives, and taught to challenge and be challenged; and here comes this protected species who is ‘0’ in survival skills. So fragile, so brittle. So as the flimsy newbie, I shall swim (or at least float) and not sink. And that takes a lot of extra effort in the rat race. Scary rite? But that’s how it is, and how it shall be. For as long as money rules the stock exchange and the boss holds ur pay check, that’s how the story shall go.

Well, I’m also glad that I was thrown in this situation. Very very blessed indeed. Its not the deep end yet, so I’m given the chance to learn. And to start off with, my course is beginning to be very interesting. The lecturer asked us to watch tv and read magazines. Its so cool. I pay them to make myself be indulged in entertainment. “PLEASE go watch films of all sort, various tv series, look in the diverse cultures of different ppl….” I like that. Anyhow, there’s also a ‘but’ in this… we gotta really watch and analyze wat made the person do that, and wats the purpose or hidden message of the act, bla bla bla. Which can be very difficult sometimes.

I’m very fortunate to start this course this year, cuz Adelaide is all pumped up for this festival called Adelaide Fringe 06. Being the festival state of Australia, this event is super major. Performers fly in from every corner of the world to present live shows thru out the whole month. Certain shows are charged, but most of the acts are scattered all around the city, where u can tip them however u like. Some talented ppl perform along the famous Rundle Mall, and I think it’s called basking. Very chun shows…

On the whole, I’m really excited bout this new challenge. It is gonna b tremendously thorny but one thing is for sure. God is on my side no matter wat, so I’m not scared, nyehehe!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey you're finally getting the hang of uni life! well at least that's a start! just like learning how to swim...

i remember my dad threw me and my bro into the swimming pool to force us swim. no kidding... that's how we started off...

at least you get to watch tv and read magazines! i might be bored by it but to analyze the characters etc is VERY VERY interesting!

just as the aussie were throw into the wild at a young age, so are the singaporeans (SCORE SCORE SCORE!!! kiasu-mode) so i hope me too can survive the wildernest...

peace gurl... god bless... going to inti tomorrow till tues for the UPO day... ^^

JosH said...

Sometimes in life we get thrown into stuff like that...Its natural to feel a bit wierd at first but soon enough you will get used to it..Just keep praying and hope for the best

Anonymous said...

Hey Jez,
it's Wen Bin,Josh's classmate...
U hav a great blog and some great post here..
just manage to read a few there,will try to find some time to check out the rest..

All the best for your University Life...

Life is always tough,but as long as u get used to it,
it wouldn't be a problem anymore..
the exposure and experience u get later on will sure compensate the what u've suffer right now
Wish u good luck..
=)

jezamine said...

hey wen bin!!! thx for the encouragement! u seem to b a wise wise dude... hahah. i went to ur blog page one day n figured that my chinese is no where to b seen, so i kept quiet, haha. i've been reading ur comments on horny and shua's blog though, hehe....

thx shua n liz too. u guys are really making this easier for me.
God bless!!!