Tuesday, July 25, 2006

road trip

http://littlejez.multiply.com/photos/album/10

“what will we be doing in victor habour?” I asked everyone in the car (ming, tan, mandy, and myself)
“I dunno...” answered ming.
*awkward silence*
“woohooo!!! VH road trip! Here I come!!!” I thought to myself.

7 of us, 6 days before the new sem starts, 5 healthy ppl (ming and tan were alittle sick), 3 sleeping bags, took off in 2 cars, in less than 1 hundred AD as our budget (each), with 0 plans.

Ruby drove ming’s car with sam and huey chi in it, and ming drove duane’s car with tan, mandy and me in it. We left east side at about 11am, 18th July for about an hours drive to VH. The road to this place was really straight… straight and boring. We passed a lot of farms, saw cows and some mutated looking sheep… the Switchfoot cd was played all the way there and all the way back… took me awhile to get the songs off my head. There were red and black stick erected along the high way. Ming said it was to remember the places where there were accidents before. Red is for the places where ppl were injured, and black were to signify the places where death accidents occurred.

We reached our accommodation – Smugglers Inn, around noon time n we were all craving for something greasy. So KFC it is! It was like a few mins walk away from our room, so walked there after settling down in the cosy unit that’ll be trashed for the next 3 days. Mandy and I took the sofa bed, the 2 sick guys took one room, the 2 girls took the other and sam slept on the floor in the lounge which was also the dining room cum kitchen cum bedroom… there was only one toilet btw…

KFC was ok… my 1st time in KFC in Australia. It’s not as good as the ones in msia… but still, its Kentucky Fat Chicken…

Then we walked over to the info centre to find out about the stuff we can do here. Bought tix to watch penguins later in the evening. Then we walked to Granite Island using the long bridge. They had horses to pull carriages to get there but its 10bux per head and its super slow… so we walked against the strong wind on metal bars built for the carriages.

The island is actually very small…reminds me of the size of sipadan… actually I think sipadan is smaller… there are nice trails to walk on around the island, but ming and I picked the road less travelled. We climbed uphill and down hill to meet with the others at the other side of the island. Was really interesting… hahah, for awhile I tot there’s no end to that climb, yet the view was magnificent!… at the other end, all of us climbed huge boulders and took pix. Well, I’m a little acrophobic… [that’s y God made me so short] so the climb was pretty scary… but I managed to get to the highest point and stand tall!!! The view was breathtaking!!! Seriously! The clear blue sky with the calm turquoise ocean… it’s like I have everything I have in the world! Except for one thing… *fill in the blanks*

We climbed ON rocks, UNDER rocks, OVER rocks, IN BETWEEN rocks, even went INSIDE some rocks…and the smart KFC guy, Tan, wore slippers for this hike. I guess it makes the hike more thrilling for him…

After the super exciting ramble, we went for some donuts (wah, the cinnamon ones were fabbiiiuuuullloussss!) and pancakes. Then I went with Sam and mandy to Woolworths to get our meal supplies… Then went back to the unit where the rest of them were there to get Tan’s shoes and we went back into granite island to catch the penguin-seeing-tour. It was so cold… and it was dark already by 5 plus in the evening.

We went on the tour around the northern coastal areas of the island with the tour guide who had the red torch light. The light from the torch had to b red cuz the penguins have sensitive eyes. Their eyesight is 8 times more sensitive than human beings’. They are fairy penguins, the smallest species among the penguin kingdom. They hv sharp things in their throat cuz they swallow fish as a whole and hv no teeth. They live to about 10 years old but some found some penguins that r 20 years plus! They live in burrows, one family one burrow. They have their own distinctive voice and their partners can tell where their other half is, n where their kids are calling from.

Wow… looks like the 10bux is not wasted… I managed to learn so much… well, I paid for, y shouldn’t I? I even saw them mate! Hohoho, so interesting! They shat (passed tense for shit) b4 they did it. N it was a turbo fast one…. Maybe they were jz shy la, so many ppl looking…Other than penguins, we saw possums too! Apparently there’s this rodent creature with webbed feet around, but we didn’t catch that… forgot the name for it also...

After that knowledge-full tour, we went back and had pizza for dinner. And we brought heaps of DVDs. The unit has a DVD player, so we watched City Hunter (the super old show by jacky chan….super low-b man…)

Then we played a few rounds of poker, and I learnt how to play Bridge! Eh, its heaps fun! Very challenging and entertaining at the same time! Bridge is good… very good…

Soon, everyone was totally knocked out by the day’s activities so they all went to bed. Except for me… I was wide awake, so I watched an episode of Grey’s anatomy before collapsing on the sofa bed.

Next day, we had bacon, hash brown and eggs for breakfast! Yummm~ oh, we had nutella and bread too! Watched Serenity while gobbling down those babi slices…

As ming wasn’t quite well that day, we left him in the room n we all went to The Bluff. It’s just a tiny mountain and that’s it… but the hike up was fun. Hehe… oh ya, and we saw whales when we reached the peak! Was awesome! They shot water up and we saw their tails.. coolness…

Then we went down to the beach just for fun. Haha, tan and ruby took off their shoes and went to ‘play’ in the water. The rest of us were jz taking pix of the waves. I went to wash my hands at a small pool of water behind some rocks, and I didn’t see that wave coming n I was soaked knee high… the water was so cold it actually hurts! It was fun though…

We then got bored and decided to make a human pyramid on the sand. Wasn’t easy… I had to step on Tan rear to climb to the top! Hahaha, but we did it!!!

We went to woollies again after that to buy dinner. Tan went in barefooted and good thing I had slippers in the car, heehee…

Went back to the room after that and had seafood salad for dinner. Another huge Yummmmm~ later that night we played more poker, chor dai dee and Bridge, then we watched Superman! The old version. The one with Christopher Reeve. Wah liou, the ending was super! …super LAME!!! And the start was really corny also… haih… thank God for improvement in the entertainment world!

The last day came. We all lazed around and had coco-pops and sausages for breakfast. We were REALLY lazing around.. half way watching a show called Alfie…till about 10-ish, someone came knocking at our door n said we had to leave cuz check out time was 10! And we were like… ooooo crap. So we packed up at lightning speed, woke ming up, and tried to stuff the leftover food the best way we can in containers so it’ll still b edible… after about 20 mins… we all stood outside our unit… starring at each other…

“Where should we go now?”
“I dunno…”
“woohooo! We got kicked out!”

So we ended up in the park near that place, n continued our breakfast on those park tables and benches while feeding the birds with the leftover bread. Ming put up a pretty good circus show then, hehe…

We left victor habour around noon and stopped by at marion (the biggest shopping centre in south Australia konon…but no where close when compared to mid valley). Walked around and I bought a pair of shoes. (am not feeling guilty cuz that’ll be my only pair of girlie shoes, other than heels… my other shoes are sport shoes =p)

So last stop was samuel’s house… finished up our apple juices and distributed the left-overs.

That’s the end of my VH road trip with friends. If u hv read everything I wrote… *clap clap* …most prob u wouldn’t hv, but I jz wanted to write it down for my own remembrance and maybe 50 years down the road I can still read wat I did during my 1st year winter break in Australia.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

jez you're soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lucky...

penguins AND whales!!! i didn't get anyting... well some of my other friends got to see penguins though... i've to start blogging man... so stagnant now...

Anonymous said...

sounded like a heap of fun mate..although proly 60 % of it was u guys watching movies...its alwez funner watching wif frens...glad yol ppl had fun...

I am Marcuz said...

hahaha....

reading all that, u have good memory jez... haha

wow, i wonder will i have that much fun when i get there.. haha

yay sleeping bags r nice!

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. celexa Massachusetts bextra lawyers sarah irish body builder self heating mask private label sell timeshare Bluetooth barcode scanner payday loan online