Monday, January 30, 2006

fallacious chinese new year

Happy Chinese New Year,
We are going to Australia,
But then we’ll still be here,
To celebrate together.
Gong Xi, Gong Xi, Gong Xi Ni~
(composed by Charmaine and I)

Chinese new year is here, KL is super hot, traffic jams everywhere, people all dressed in red… the outlook is still the same as every single year, but does it feel like cny? No… the atmosphere is not here at all. I’m not as excited about collecting ang pows as the years b4. Not as eager as I used to about wearing my new year clothes. I’m not as thrilled as last time when I witness any lion dance or at fireworks… how come?
Now everyone is talking about how fake this cny is, how stingy that lady is, how bad the food is, how much that dude drank from mama(granma)’s house… its more like gossip to me. I never knew our family chats were about hearsays and rumours.. nothing that’s fun, joyful, and exciting. What has the world changed into? i jz hope I was once again the naïve little girl who sat politely beside my father, holding on to my ang pow, in my new dress, smiling away in front of the guests who came visit. But its all not that way. All the kids will be wrecking the front porch, the senior ones playing mah jong at the dinning hall, some adults emptying cartons of beers as they talk loudly about boring stuff and politics, another gang of adults playing fifa world cup with the PS, and we (the bored n lethargic teenagers) sitting hopelessly in front of the tv, looking at the graphics (cant hear anything by then), knowing that we’re gonna get very few ang pows today. Sad rite? Last time, on lin chor yat (1st day of cny)I would be so bz visiting relatives with my cousins and all, but this time, I was so free till I cud even go out mamak with my ex-church friends!!! Though I had a super fun time there with them, but I’m jz so disheartened having the feeling that I’m not in the midst of cny celebration….
Well, maybe I exaggerated, but that’s what I think it is. Yes we had a fun time during reunion dinner, as we all sat there and talked about stuff that could make us tear after laughing too hard, jz that I feel when 1st day of cny comes, everyone has to put up a fake smile, and greet the parsimonious visitors. Its all so commercialized now… no kick…
Anywayz, cant complain much… ppl change, situations change. I cant say that I’m all anti this commercializing cny n stuff, jz that the true meaning of cny is unfelt this year.
I wonder if next year would be worst or anyhow different from this year’s.
Hopefully u had a great cny celebration.

Gong Hey Fatt Choy peeps!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh it looks like you didn't have such a happy cny but still managed to enjoy eh? oh well people have their time...

agree with you that nowadays cny has become so commercialized that it's just not cny anymore... more like 'money money give to me' type of celebration...

cute song you got there at the top of the entry. real funny... take care will ya when you go to aust!

god bless~

~liz~

JosH said...

HI!!!I've just arrived back from KL...HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!!GONG XI FA XAI!!WAN XE RU YI!!

wwaa...so much energy!!!lol

haha..yaa..Chinese new year is a totally different these few years..sure, there still will be aunties and uncles commenting about how tall you've grown..etc etc..but its different now coz we've all grown up..this is a sign to tell you tat you've already mature enuf to be aware of your surroundings (do I make any sense??am I being too serious?

Actually CNY has always been wat it was years ago..just tat we din realize it only..

anyways...Ipoh was BORING!!the most exciting thing tat happened was when I accidentally poured some hot water on my head...Great huh??

Aiks..you going Aus liao..got ur Visa yet?

jezamine said...

hahha, welcome home shua!!! well, cny is cny, a thing celebrated by chinese ppl. everything dah revolutionized d, so must expect some changes here n there.
well, hope everyone got wat they wanted for cny-- as what horny says-- the ang angs.
btw, i got my visa in ONE day!!! woohoo, will blog about it another time. n thx liz, all d best to u!

Anonymous said...

wa... VISA in one day? that's mighty fast!!! hey joshua, didn't get brain-damage right? ekekekeke...

enjoy aust man jez! god bless!!! keep in touch!

I am Marcuz said...

happy CNY 2006 every1...

i had to stay at home studying during CNY... but im loving it... i guess...

seems like im not the 1st to comment anymore huh jez? hehe...

HAPPY CNY 2006 every1 while it lasts...

God Bless...

P.s: welcome home shua...

JosH said...

Hahaha.. I meant I burnt my hand..not head..ter-taip wrong..lol..my brain is already damaged anyways..

hmm...got ur visa already?..Guess you really have to leave for australia liao..haihhh

Anyways, just enjoy ur time in KL! call me anytime!

jezamine said...

liz... see wat my comment box terjadi... ike chat box saja. faster get the tag board thing done yeah, hehe. oh ya, i changed my pw, lemme know when u need it, i'll sms u.
take care everyone!!

Anonymous said...

well yor comment box still the same... opening on the same page... told you to go to the site i go to man... sign up and SMS me yor ID and password then i can help you set it up... or i've to create a fake account for you!

comment box you ask marcuz to ask tzy shih...